Friday 3 June 2016

PMP - Am I ready?

It was busy month for me in April 2016. Total outstation duration has ate me 2 weeks of time. While a week I spent my time at Midvalley the largest mall in Malaysia. But I was not on shopping spree motive indeed.
It was on full weekdays i.e 5 days times 8 hours of course session. This time mission is to fulfill 35 hours of Project Management Professional (PMP) training as a eligible ticket to sit for PMP exam. I have been 3 years not undergone any training and this time is my own initiative enroll for training under 1MGRIP scheme. And it has been a very long time since graduation that I am not going for true academic session i.e learning thru acedemic books. This time using Project Management Book of Knowledge PMBOK 5th Edition by Project Management Institute.
Most of training participants were from IT background while I was only from MRO background. The trainer is indeed experienced and certified PMP by the name of Dr Collins. He was one of a few persons I knew which not using smartphone and have no social media interfaces. Two new key words which always been repeated through out the classrooms was 'scope creep' and 'progressively elaborated'. 


The course is adapting PMBOK as reference and standard for project managers. Some may applicable and some may not based on the organization you are working on. It has refreshed me on some related undergraduate subjects during previous university time. Just to name a few: the Ishikawa diagram, the block diagram and the critical path method.
Based on PMBOK there are five process groups namely Initiating, Planning, Executing, Control & Monitoring and closing. While there are tens of knowledge areas which are as follow:
- Integration
- Scope
- Time 
- Cost
- Quality
- Human Resources
- Communications
- Risk
- Procurement
- Stakeholder
To date I have completed registration as PMI members and qualified the mandatory requirement for PMP exam. The exam fees also been settled. Now it is about scheduling the exam slot and I am targeting it somewhere in July 2016. Some say it is real hard to pass for the exam for 200 questions in 4 hours. And some say it is very little chance for those who have experience for more than 10 years to pass the exam first time because of the tendency of selecting answer based on work experience instead of PMBOK reference. Whatever they say, I am determined to double up efforts for preparation and pass the exam for the first time and with flying colour. Sounds very confident indeed. Haha. Why PMP certified?  For me, it is indeed added value for someone like me working in project management environment. And the other reason is I would like to running....


p/s: The song may not relevant to the reason but I real like the song. Enjoy it..




No comments:

Post a Comment