Friday 3 June 2016

Lahad Datu (Not Lahat Datuk)

On 21 April 2016, it was my second time visit to Lahad Datu. This time around using land from Sandakan. The previous visit via land from Tawau. Both land journey was interesting indeed for me seeing places. Oil palm trees and small scattered villages were the spots during the journey. Uneven surface roads with potholes were not something abnormal to be experienced which impact can be a little bit minimized when using four wheeler. It was chatting sessions with my friends onboard car journey as sleep will only shaken you to wake up.
Rewind to 2013 when Lahad Datu have been headlines nationwide. It was Sulu intruders entered the small city with the aim to claim so-called their rights and land in Sabah. It was learnt that the self proclaimed Sultan Sulu was the man of mastermind. The episode goes with the counter-strike by Malaysian armed forces to their hideouts and fortress in particular at Felda Sahabat. For the first time in my life, I saw the nation military assets were used and their personnel were tested their capabilities to face real threats, not just ordinary exercises they often do it. A few of armed forces were killed in the strike while it was claimed in the media that the intrusion and stand off was over after the military strike. The after-effect however continues till today. Malaysians were kidnapped for revenge and money ransom and a few was killed. 
The after effect of intrusion had caused government established ESSCOM to coordinate the pre-emptive measures for security and safety of Malaysia sovereign in particular Sabah and its citizen. My friends share me his views on after effect which he refers as 'hikmah' over the incidents. At least the worst condition of road in Lahad Datu was upgraded by government. Other main facilities also been established and upgraded. Almost during my trips to Sabah I can easily seen the hardships and difficulties of the rakyat. Be it at towns and village areas. They living in not good condition. Some children mess around during day and night and begging money for eatings claims. Some kids below 7 years also can been spotted playing around at streets in town at midnight. I can concluded their state of hardship is far worst than those poor peoples in Semenanjung.



Masjid in Lahad Datu town

The last Lahad Datu area before I will be in the air again is definitely the airport. I was shocked to see the domestic airport which located next to main road. It was the smallest airport I have been. My friends there are other smaller domestic airport in Sabah and Sarawak which only can cater for Twin Otter aircraft. This short runway at Lahad Datu only accommodate for the fly of ATR 72 craft the maximum size. I clocked 26.6 seconds for duration from the aircraft start accelerate until take off, roughly 4 seconds faster than other measures I took for the particular aircraft that may marks that runway is real shorts.


 Airport building

Departure hall

 Boarding the flight

The short runway

It might be next trips to Lahad Datu again in the future. And I can again explore further the place. I can still remembered being scolded by my former boss due to wrong spelling of Lahad Datu as Lahat Datuk. Haha. That is memory.

Bye-bye and see you next time LD

No comments:

Post a Comment